"Sunday Morning Klezmer Jewish Internet Resource List Part 1

          Sunday Morning Klezmer -- Jewish Internet Resource List
      + =========================================================== +
     ||    Jacob Freedman -- Host/Producer Sunday Morning Klezmer   ||
     ||        E-Mail Address -- Jacob(dot)Freedman (at) vmp-bbs(dot)com
     ||      WBZC 88.9 FM -- A Voice For Burlington County, NJ      ||
     ||        http://dvjcc.ncc.com/dvjcc/Klezmer.radio.html        ||
     ||   "Out of Date" Music List, Mail and E-Mail Info Current    ||
      + =========================================================== +

Sunday Morning Klezmer -- Jewish Internet Resource List -- 30-Aug-96 [Part 1]
===

Ari Davidow's Klezmer Page and Jewish-Music List Moderator

I've been in love with klez for about fifteen years--ever since Santa Cruz
Klez and Bluegrass musician Jeff Brody was brought back from a party by a
friend of mine at 2am just so he could play sometapes for me. This is
called "Ari Davidow's Klez Picks" because I have my own ideas of what I
want to hear in a klez band, and in what I value. I'm into the klez revival
sounds that continue the growth of klezmer as a Jewish fusion of the world
of music around us. This is not the place to read about musicians I tend to
regard as shlockmeisters pandering to shmaltz and a rosy view of what was.

If you have a klez story to tell, comments, reviews to add, or just want to
let people know about your band, or have something else to  say that I
haven't already mentioned (and especially about bad links or other mistakes)
-- send me e-mail. I'll get it all online as I have time.

CAJE [Coalition for the Advancement of Jewish Education

This web sites;includes, recent articles, from the CAJE Jewish Education News,
the CAJE Curriculum Bank and many other items of interest to Jewish educators.

We have many people interested in Jewish music.  When posting to EEJH, please
remember to keep your messages within the context of historical phenomena in
eastern Europe.  Among the geographic areas appropriate are Poland, Hungary,
Ukraine, Roumania, and Lithuania, although comparisons between Jewish music
of different regions is fine.  Since music is so integral to culture - along
with religion, values, and a shared history; I think it's essential for us to
always consider its contributions.

Jewish Entertainment Resources

Jewish Entertainment Resources is a worldwide network of entertainers who
make all or part of their living through the performance or presentation of
Jewish material: musicians, storytellers, actors, dancers, visual
artists, comedians, speakers, and educators. All have creative talents to
share and all have a similar mission to preserve Jewish heritage and
culture through artistic expression.

Jewish-Food is an open, unmoderated list for all interested in the discussion
of GENERAL aspects of Jewish food which may include the exchanging of recipes
and cooking techniques of Jewish food in general; Kashruth (laws of keeping
Kosher) in a cooking lifestyle, technique or recipe context only. Discussion
of the philosophical merits of Kashruth will be discouraged.  Other discussion
topics included on this list are holiday cooking, sources of Kosher foods,
delicatessens (locations, specialties, reviews and recipes), Jewish cooking
history and traditions.

Jewish Resources, in Computer Networking
New, Updated, Version of the classic article
by Dr Lucia Ruedenberg-Wright:

Contents: The Net, Network Tools, Hebrew in the Net
          Libraries, Email Lists, Newsgroups,
          Jewish Networking, Areas of Interest
          Chat Modes, Across Borders, Bibliography

Mikhtav carries discussions about topics of Israeli or Jewish interest, but
in Hebrew using Hebrew letters rather than Latin transliteration.

rural areas, small Jewish communities and small
congregations, those who have lived in those situations or
who have an interest in Jews and Jewish communities in
those situations. It is dedicated to enhancing Jewish life in
those settings.

_Tam-tam_, the First Yiddish Electronic Periodical

_Tam-tam_ is a bi-monthly, a beautifully, produced collection of articles,
poetry, crosswrods, etc. and entirely in Yiddish.  The editor is modest to
the point of anonymity but the sponsoring group goes by the acronym "gefil"
(gezelshaft farnidish-limed) You will need a web browser as well as a reader
(which you can download once you've visited the website).

Tel Aviv University Humanities Computing Initiative

     *   Correspondence of Ahad Ha'am
         A new edition, prepared by Shulamit Laskov, includes the full
         text (in Hebrew) of over 3,100 letters by Ahad Ha'am

     *   Bibliography of Zionism
         A selected and annotated listing of almost 9,000 books and articles
         published between 1980 and 1994. The works include only
         scholarly research, memoirs, diaries, and research aids. It does
         not include polemical publications. This is an online version of
         the bibliography published annually by the "Journal of Israeli
         History".

     *   Bibliography of the History of Polish Jewry
         A selected and annotated listing of over 800 works published between
         1990 and 1994. This is an online version of a bibliography
         originally published in "Gal-Ed".

Processing.  This list is primarily for people interested in
discussing and learning the technical details of using computers for
various aspects of processing information in the Yiddish language.

Moderator's translation into English of the rules for sorting Yiddish
at the UYIP web site.  YIVO rules for sorting applied, such as, in
Weinreich's Yiddish/English dictionary.

Union of Councils for Soviet Jews (UCSJ)

Since 1970, the UCSJ has been the largest independent grassroots human
rights and Soviet Jewry organization, with 100,000 members in the United
States, affiliated local Soviet Jewry action councils in 30 American cities,
and Bureaus in Russia and Central Asia.  The UCSJ's Moscow Bureau,
established in 1990, was the first western non- governmental organization to
be registered in the history of the USSR.

Virtual Shtetl

The Yiddish Language and Culture home page, which bills itself as a "Virtual
Shtetl", links to Yiddish-oriented pages for a library, synagogue, school,
memorial, and more. What's a shtetl? It's a small Jewish town or village
formerly found in Eastern Europe. You can learn much more than definitions
by visiting one of the areas; the library, for example, contains a link
to a Bibliography with topics ranging from literature and art to theater
and cinema to history and Holocaust Rescuers. Be sure to stop by the Kitchen,
where you can check out a database of kosher restaurants or get a recipe for
blintzes and other delicacies.

Eliezer Steinbarg's "Alef Beys" (Czernowitz, 1921), GIF Format
Currently only first 29 pages are available, the rest of the book will
be added later. Read, teach your children, enjoy!

and culture.  The purpose of the list is to gather and disseminate news
and information about Yiddish language and culture in America and
internationally to both speakers and non-speakers of Yiddish. It covers
Yiddish literature, media, computers, language instruction material and
programs, e-mail, services, conferences, news as well as performances,
meetings, events, and activities sponsored by various groups and
organizations around the world.  We hope that the list will serve as an
informational clearinghouse in a manner and breadth not available in any
other single publication or forum. The list should be useful to all lovers of
Yiddish, whether the interest be of an ideological, popular or academicnature.
The sponsor of YiddishNet is The Workmen's Circle. There is no schedule for
posting, but roughly between 65,000 and 100,000 K is posted each month.

====
           Jewish Gopher, Mail-Lists, Usenet News Conferences,
           World Wide Web Sites       [*music specific sites]
====

*alt.music.jewish
Usenet News Conference

ATARIM Bi-Lingual Search Engine
http://www.bestware.co.uk/atarim

A -- Z of Jewish & Israel Related Resources
http://www.ort.org/anjy/a-z/

CAJE -- Coalition for the Advancement of Jewish Education
http://www.caje.org/

                            Sylvia Abrams, Chair of CAJE
                            SylviaA9 (at) aol(dot)com

Ernie Cohen's Israeli Folk Dance
ftp://ftp.bellcore.com/pub/ernie/israeli/homepage.html

Dallas Virtual Jewish Community Center
http://dvjcc.ncc.com/dvjcc/

*Ari Davidow's Klezmer
http://www.well.com/user/ari/klez

Deja News - The Searchable Source for Internet Newsgroups
http://www.dejanews.com/

David Dickerson - Jewish Information Web Site
http://www.igc.apc.org/ddickerson/

Eastern European Jewish History Mailing List

         Address          : majordomo (at) ort(dot)org
         Subject          : [leave line blank]
         Message          : subscribe eejh [delivered, as sent] or
                          : subscribe eejh-digest [all messages, weekly]

                            Kevin Brook
                            Eastern European Jewish History Moderator
                            kbrook (at) acad(dot)bryant(dot)edu

Epicurious ( Jewish Food Content )
http://www.epicurious.com

*Michael Elkin's Jewish Entertainment
http://www.netaxs.com/~elkin/

*Galgalats -- IDF Radio Station -- Music and
Traffic Radio Station. Hebrew & Israeli Music,
Host Information, Real -- Audio clips, Weekly Hitlist.
http://www.netvision.net.il

University of Haifa Library Services
http://www-lib.haifa.ac.il/

Hatikva's guide to Jewish Stockholm
http://www.algonet.se/%7Ehatikva/english.html

Holocaust Historical Summary:
http://www.ushmm.org/education/history.html

Holocaust Prevention:
http://haven.ios.com/~kimel19

Humanities Computing Initiative, Tel Aviv University
http://spinoza.tau.ac.il

                            Ron Zweig
                            Department of Jewish History
                            Director, HCI, Tel Aviv University