Re: Klezmer? Enough!

I politely submit, no, there isn't any way that I can get enough of learning
more and hearing more about
Klezmer.  I feel that the enthusiasm generated by those who continue to
contribute a myriad of articles on what
is (and what isn't) Klezmer is both contagious and exhilarating.  Klezmer is
still evolving and deserves our
full interest, support, and attention. There's room for many different
discussion threads on many different
topics; discussing Klezmer does not foreclose discussion of other types of
Jewish music.

In fact, I'm very interested in hearing the some of the music that you included
in your list.  If you (or
anyone else) have any MIDI files of any of this (or any other) Jewish music,
please send them to me.

Regards,

Steven Lowenthal

yoel (at) netvision(dot)net(dot)il wrote:

> Aren't you all sick of this thread?  Let's talk about something else.
>
> I have before me an article by Paul Nettl on Jewish musicians in Europe during
> the middle ages and later.  He refers to a number of sources.  Does anyone
> have anything about these?
>
> 1.  The Lochamer Liederbuch.  This is one of the earliest rvolumes of German
> vocal polyphony.  It was presumably written by a Jew, Woelffle Von Locham, and
> bears a Hebrew dedication to his wife.  Has this book ever been published, or
> has anyone recorded it?  It was written about 1450.
>
> 2.  The article contends that many of the professional musicians of the 18th
> century and earlier were Jewish, and that there are a number of Stamitz and
> Mozart melodies that they introduced into the traditional synagogue liturgy.
> Can anyone point me to specific examples?
>
> 3.  He cites a collection of Hebraic-Ashkenazic chants printed in Fuerth in
> 1727 called "Simchat Hannefeth".  Again, any music or recordings on this?
>
> 4.  There was a genre of Rennaisance and Baroque music called "Judentaenze" -
> Jewish Dances.  These were written by Gentile composers, but the style was
> distinctly Jewish.  Nettl cites as an example  the "Juden Tantz" published in
> Hans Neusiedler's "Lautenbuch" in 1544.  Does anyone have a recording or sheet
> music of this or other examples of Judentaenze from the period?
>
> 5.  Jewish composers of the Baroque, classical and Romantic periods:  anyone
> know of works by composers other than Salmone Rossi, whose works have been
> recorded fairly extensively?
>
> 6.  Israel Jacobson (1768-1828) published a Jewish hymn book in Cassel.  This
> was part of the reform movement, and contained largely Protestant music to be
> sung in the temple.  Has anyone seen this book or heard any of the songs?

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->