Re: Kammen tunes

On Tue, 16 Apr 1996 11:35:14 -0400 Linda Littleton wrote:
>My band is planning to record three tunes from Kammen book 1, and I'm
>wondering if anyone out there can help out by providing any info on
>them.  The three tunes are:
>
>Num 1  - Frailach (Jewish Dance)
>Num 13 - Rumanian (Jewish Horra)
>Num 20 - Kolomeika (Ukranian)
>
>None of these list authors, so can I assume they are traditional?  On
>the first tune, there's a 1951 copyright listed by J & J Kammen.  Would
>that have expired by now or do they hold copyright to this tune and
>perhaps the others as well?
It seems to me that the copyright notice is for their printed material, or
their arrangement. Where there is no author, it is unlikely that a publisher
can claim copyright for the original piece.

In general, to be sure, one should check with a mechanical rights
organization before recording. One would need to know the original author's
name and original publisher's, as well as the date of first publication. If
these facts are unavailable, then at least you have left a paper trail that
indicates that you researched the matter.

In cases where an author is known, and the work is under copyright
protection, a standard licence is issued by the mechanical rights
organization, for which you must pay the copyright owner a fixed sum for
each copy manufactured. In Canada this is 6 cents per copy.

>Anyone know of names to these tunes?  The first tune I think I've heard
>of as "Mazel Tov," but am not sure.  What does "Kolomeika" mean?  Is that
>the name of the tune, or is it a dance form, or something else?  Not
>really sure what else to ask, but if you can answer any of my unformed
>questions, that would be great]

Sorry, I can't answer these questions cause I don't have the Kammen book in
front of me.

Best Wishes,

Moshe Denburg

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->