Sunday Morning Klezmer; Sunday March 3, 1996

My name is Jacob Freedman, and I am the Host/Producer of
Sunday Morning Klezmer and Other Jewish Music. I am looking for
recordings and related background materials, for the station's
music library. Also, any help with the stations "back catalogue"
( older recordings ) library would be greatly appreciated.

The show airs on Sundays, 6:00 a.m. to 10:00 a.m., Eastern Time.

The station is located at Burlington County College, Pemberton,
Burlington County, New Jersey, United States of America.

Station Facts: WBZC-FM ( Licensed to Burlington County College )

              - Frequency 88.9 Mhz FM

              - 7,500 Watt Stereo FM ( Peak Power )

              - Antenna Height on Tower @ 250 Feet ( 77 Meters )

              - The Broadcast Coverage Area; includes,
                parts of the following New Jersey Counties,
                Atlantic, Camden, Burlington, Gloucester, Ocean,
                and some parts of Eastern Pennsylvania; including
                Philadelphia.

              - The Primary Broadcast Coverage Area has a population
                of over half-million people.

If you know of any Israeli/Jewish/Klezmer/Yiddish music performers,
please ask them to send me their recordings and background information;
also some scripting for "on-air" introductions of the music, as if the
performers were introducing themselves.

I am also looking for the following:

*  English language recordings of Israeli/Jewish/Klezmer/Yiddish
   comedy, folklore, theater, etc. .

*  Internet Resources; e-mail addresses, gophers, www sites, and
   other internet locations of a Jewish Nature.

*  General background material,on Israeli/Jewish/Klezmer/Yiddish
   entertainment and music; for on-air fill.

*  Guests and Guest Hosts for my show.
   I can pre-record interviews and segments, during the
   week or guests can come to the studio, for the show.

If you know of a Jewish Performance or Public Event, in Eastern
Pennsylvania, New Jersey, or New York City ; please send me the
press kit and I'll air the Performance or Event schedule.

Materials and tickets for on-air contests would be appreciated,
but not required.

Mailing Address:

                 Jacob Freedman, Host/Producer
                 Sunday Morning Klezmer
                 WBZC-FM
                 Burlington County College
                 County Route 530
                 Pemberton, NJ USA 08068-1599

Internet Address:  Jacob(dot)Freedman (at) vmp-bbs(dot)com

Fax Number:        609-894-9440
                   ( Monday-Friday 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. EST only )
Telephone Numbers:

Home Office: 609-235-3819 [Voice Mailbox 2 for messages]

WBZC-FM Program/Operation Manager; Drew Jacobs, 609-894-9311 Ext. 7223

  Here is the list of Klezmorim and Other Jewish Performers,
  who have contributed their music to WBZC's Jewish Music Library.
  ( Last Update 18-February-96 ) :

  Yatzliakh Yisrael Abrahami         Old World Folk Band
    - Mahpechhah RuHani                - Hot Tracks
  Rabbi's Bruce and                  Itzhak Perlman
  Donna Adler                        and Friends
    - I choose Torah                   - In the Fiddler's House
  American Jewish                    Safam
  Song Festival(1994)                  - Greatest Hits Volumes I & II
  Austin Klezmorim                     - On Track
    - East of Odessa                   - The Greatest Scheme of Things
  Sid Beckerman                      Schlock Rock
    - Klezmer Plus                     - Bring Back That Shabbos Feeling
  Rhoda Bernard                        - Emunah
  Brave Old World                      - Jewish Pride
    - Beyond the Pale                  - Learning is Good !
    - Klezmer Music                    - Lenny and the Shlockers
  Baruch & Samuel Cohon                - Magical History Tour
    - Generations                      - Purim Torah
  Craig & Co.                          - Songs of the Morning
    - My Jewish Discovery              - We're Coming Back
  Doug Cotler                          - To Unite All Jews
    - Down Home                      Shashmaqam
    - Echos                            - Music of the Bukharan
    - It's So Amazing                    Jewish Ensemble
    - Listen                         Shirim
    - Whispers in the Wind             - ...angels and horseradish
  Jimmy, Max, L. Davis                 - Naftule's Dream
    - Carpools and Kippahs           Moshe Skier
    - More, Carpools and Kippahs       - Kabbalah
  Larry Eschler                        - Rock of Sages
    - The Gift                       Lenny Solomon
  Flying Bulgar Klezmer Band           - Manual for the Moral Minded
    - Flying Bulgar Klezmer Band     Sounds of Genesis and Exodus
    - Flying Bulgar Klezmer Band     Toronto Klezmer Band
      Agada                            - Uri and His Russian Relatives
  Judy Frankel                       Tzimmes
    - Sephardic Songs of               - A Lid for Every Pot
      Love and Hope                    - Sweet and Hot
  Debbi Friedman                     Voice of the Turtle
  Judy Caplan Ginsburgh                - Under the Aegean Moons
    - Boker Tov                      Hillel Zakai
    - Chag Sameach                   - b'shir
    - Channukah Favorites
    - Shalom Yeladim
  Golden Gate Gypsy Orchestra
    - The Travelling Jewish
      Wedding
  Robyn Helzner
    - A Fire Burns
    - Clap Your Hands
    - I Live in the City
  The Hester Street Troupe
    - Generation to Generation
    - Sounds of the Shtetl
  Debby Jones
  Kapelye
    - Auf Der Luft
  Daniel Kazez \ Eric Street
    - Music on a Jewish Theme
      (Brief Introductions)
    - Music on a Jewish Theme
      (Long Introductions)
  Faye Kellerstein
    - Feygele Zingt
  The Klezmatics
    - Jews with Horns
    - Rhythm+Jews
  Klezmer Conservatory Band
    - Jumpin Night in
      the Garden of Eden
    - Live
    - Old World Beat
  Klezmer Pioneers
    - European and
      American Records
  The Klezmorim
    - Metropolis
  Lessia
    - Prayer for Peace
  Machaya Klezmer Band
    - Machaya Klezmer Band
  Dana Mase
    - Diary
    - Sitting with an Angel
  Maxwell Street
    - Wedding
  MIRAJ
    - Moonstruck

Jewish Music Information Sources, that are available, on the Internet.
( Last Update 27-February-96 ) :

ATARIM - Hebrew/English Search Engine
-------------------------------------

ATARIM is a bi-lingual search engine that currently has over 3500
links and is believed to be the biggest Israeli/Jewish resource on
the Internet. Users are encoureged to add more related links.

ATARIM - the Hebrew/English search engine is proud to announce
the addition of newfeatures:

1. When applicable, icons will be displayed with the link to mark if
   it's located in Israel, if Hebrew font is required to view it and
   if its a personal, business, education or government related page.

2. A search mode can be selected by the user to instruct ATARIM to
   find links that include all the keywords, or links that include
   any of the keywords.

ATARIM can be accessed on:

              http://www.bestware.co.uk/atarim

Ari Davidow's Klezmer Page

     I've been in love with klez for about fifteen years--ever since
     Santa Cruz Klez and Bluegrass musician Jeff Brody was brought back
     from a party by a friend of mine at 2am just so he could play some
     tapes for me. This is called "Ari Davidow's Klez Picks" because I
     have my own ideas of what I want to hear in a klez band, and in what
     I value. I'm into the klez revival sounds that continue the growth
     of klezmer as a Jewish fusion of the world of music around us. This
     is not the place to read about musicians I tend to regard as
     shlockmeisters pandering to shmaltz and a rosy view of what was,
     such as Giora Feidman. Same name for the music. Same inspiration.
     But, "been there and done that" and it's no longer my scene.

   QUICK GUIDE

     If you are looking for sources of sheet music, your best sources
     (among those listed here) are the "online vendors" on the klezcontacts
     page. If you are looking for album recommendations, I have none
     other than what is present here. Similarly, I don't know what band
     would be best for your simkha or who would be available--contact
     your local Jewish community newspaper, book store, or federation--or
     any of the "bands from your area" listed on the klez contacts page.
     And, mazel tov!

     If you have a klez story to tell, comments, reviews to add, or just
     want to let people know about your band, or have something else to
     say that I haven't already mentioned (and especially about bad links
     or other mistakes)--"send me e-mail". I'll get it all online as I have
     time. It's a pleasure!

   WHAT'S NEW ON THESE PAGES

     * Charlie Berg on Klezmer drumming--reminisce and practice. (Added
       10/18/95)
     * [INLINE] Kevin Linscott on Klezmer music from Lark in the Morning.
       Interview probably circa 1988. (Added 2/18/96)
   [INLINE] Contact information for klezfolk, and places to get klez
       recordings, music, and info, updated 2/18/96. Still a mess. Still
       lots of folks to add.
       More letters, including lots of interest in klez from Europe, in the
       feedback pages, updated 2/18/96.
   [INLINE] The Maxwell St. Band's page gets a link back to the Maxwell
     St. Market!

 Come visit at:

    http://www.well.com/user/ari/klez

If you aren't reading this announcement on alt.music.jewish,
or through the mirrored jewish-music mailing list, you can
subscribe to the jewish-music mail-list.

Have fun!
Ari Davidow
ari (at) ivritype(dot)com

<<<>>>

history and culture of all Jewish peoples living in eastern Europe,
including Ashkenazim, Krymchaks, Karaites, Sephardim, Khazars,
Subbotniki, Mountain Jews, and Romaniotes.

We have many people interested in Jewish music.  When posting to EEJH,
please remember to keep your messages within the context of historical
phenomena in eastern Europe.  Among the geographic areas appropriate are
Poland, Hungary, Ukraine, Roumania, and Lithuania, although comparisons
between Jewish music of different regions is fine.  Since music is so
integral to culture - along with religion, values, and a shared history -
I think it's essential for us to always consider its contributions.

If you need help subscribing, or for more information, send a message to
me at kbrook (at) acad(dot)bryant(dot)edu

We look forward to your participation!
Kevin Brook
eastern european jewish history moderator
kbrook (at) acad(dot)bryant(dot)edu

<<<>>>

           Jewish Gopher, Mail-Lists, Usenet News Conference,
                        World Wide Web Sites
                        *music specific sites

*alt.music.jewish
Usenet News Conference

ATARIM is a bi-lingual search engine that currently has over 3500
links and is believed to be the biggest Israeli/Jewish resource on
the Internet.
http://www.bestware.co.uk/atarim

A -- Z of Jewish & Israel Related Resources
http://www.ort.org/anjy/a-z/

Dallas Virtual Jewish Community Center
*Klezmer Music In Cyberspace
http://dvjcc.ncc.com/dvjcc/
*http://dvjcc.ncc.com/dvjcc/Klezmer.radio.html

-- My Radio Show Fact Sheet resides on this web page,
   one of the best, Jewish Web Sites.

*Ari Davidow's Klezmer
http://www.well.com/user/ari/klez

Eastern European Jewish History Mailing List

         Address          : majordomo (at) ort(dot)org
         Subject          : [leave line blank]
         Message          : subscribe eejh [delivered, as sent] or
                          : subscribe eejh [all messages, weekly]

                            Kevin Brook
                            eastern european jewish history moderator
                            kbrook (at) acad(dot)bryant(dot)edu

*Michael Elkin's Jewish Entertainment
http://www.netaxs.com/~elkin/

*Galgalats -- IDF Radio Station -- Music and
Traffic Radio Station. Hebrew & Israeli Music,
Host Information, Real -- Audio clips, Weekly Hitlist.
http://www.netvision.net.il

University of Haifa Library Services
http://www-lib.haifa.ac.il/

HATIKVA's guide to Jewish Stockholm
Getting http://www.algonet.se/%7Ehatikva/english.html

Italian -- Jewish Network
http://www.inrete.it/a1/ita/mshg/musi/musi1.html

Jewish Boston Online
http://www.shamash.org/places/boston/index.html

*Jewish -- Music Mailing List

         Address          : listserv (at) israel(dot)nysernet(dot)org
         Subject          : [leave line blank]
         Message          : subscribe jewish-music YourFirstName YourLastName

                            Ari Davidow
                            jewish-music moderator
                            jmusic (at) nysernet(dot)org

*Jewish -- Music Mail List Archive
gopher://israel.nysernet.org/1m/lists/jewish-music/

Judaism and Jewish Resources
http://shamash.nysernet.org/trb/judaism.html

L.A. Jewish Community Online
http://www.jco.org/

Mendele : Yiddish Literature and Language Mail List:

         Address          : listserv (at) yalevm(dot)cis(dot)yale(dot)edu
         Subject          : [leave line blank]
         Message          : subscribe mendele YourFirstName YourLastName

RadioHazak -- Internet Center For Israeli Pop Music
http://www.well.com/user/yudel/Hazak.html

Reading Jewish Community Center
http://www.berksweb.com/jcc/jcc.html

Shamash: The Jewish Networking Project
http://shamash.nysernet.org/

Tucson Jewish Community
http://www.tucson.com/JewishFed/JewishFed.html

Ultimate Jewish -- Israel Link Launcher
http://ucsu.colorado.edu/%7Ejsu/launcher.html

Unofficial Jewish News Media List
http://www.libertynet.org/~anderson/jprintnewsmedia.html

*Yahoo -- Society and Culture:Religion:Judaism:Music
http://www.yahoo.com/Society_and_Culture/Religion/Judaism/Music/

*Yiddish Voice, A Yiddish Radio Show; Boston, MA
WUNR 1600 AM/Brookline -- Wednesdays 7:30-8:30 p.m.