non-Jewish sources....

Matthew Fields claims a 16th century source for Hatikvah melody
supercedes the Sephardic Hallel chant.  If the Sephardim were expelled
from Spain in 1492 and took the Hallel chant with them, which came
first?  I rest my case on that one.
    But probably the more significant comment on this whole issue came
from the author of the question of how does a non-Jewish composer's Eyn
Keylokeynu differ from an Irving Berlin's White Xmas?  Usage itself
must be considered a major factor in any music's designation as Jewish
or non-Jewish.  While tradition is all-important in liturgical music,
it too is unquestionably influenced by environmental sound, and varied
with original creations.
    And by the way, unlike Mr. Fields, I see great merit in the Heichal
Han'ginah doctrine of our Hasidic contributor.  Just as we conceive of
the entire Torah and all its interpretations as being given to Moshe on
Mount Sinai...just as we approach every insight that a brilliant
student will produce, now or in the future, as a rediscovery of that
Divine revelation...so we can approach the act of musical composition,
no matter how much effort we limited humans put into it.  If we have
the ability to compose music, we are lucky enough to be the agents that
recapture it for our fellow humans.
    Yasher Koiach!

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->