non-Jews composing Jewish Music

In the 19th century many composers were seeking exotic, romantic subjects for
their compositions. Many were attracted to musical languages other than the
standard European. Many were at first attracted to the folksongs of their own
ethnic group (nationalsim), and then became interested in those of other
groups (exoticism).

These trends continued into the 20th century. Bruch wrote a Scottish fantasy
as well as a Kol Nidre. Ravel wrote Greek songs as well as Jewish. He also
wrote the now ubiquitous Spanish Bolero.

Should we consider such compositions "Jewish Music?" Why not? Do we insist
that the composer be racially pure? That was the thinking of Wagner (in the
19th century) and Goebbels (in the 20th century) when they declared that
anyone with Jewish blood was incapable of composing German music.

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->