Re: cantillation of multiple munach

In article <4ca75b$b52 (at) news(dot)infi(dot)net>, samwit (at) infi(dot)net
(Sam Wittenberg) wrote:

> Barry Cohon (bjcohon (at) ix(dot)netcom(dot)com) wrote to me via email on
> 12/30/95
> with this comment:
>
> >Very good interchange on the multiple Munach.  My only caution would be
> >on using the trop in the back of the Hertz Humash.  They are English
> >Ashkenazi tradition, and don't usually combine well with Lithuanian
> >trop which is pretty much the standard in this country.
> >Keep up the good work!
> >

> As you correctly point out, the trop in the back of the Hertz Humash are
> English Ashkenazi.  (I actually first heard them by a ba'al k'riah in
> Jerusalem).
>
> In my post, I meant to refer to a couple of lines of music that specify
> which munach precedes specific ta'amim.  For clarity, I am refering to
> "Cantillation of the Torah" (N'ginot li'k'riat ha-torah) at the back of
> the Hertz Humash.  At the bottom of the second page of this music are the
> music for two specific munach motifs.  This implies one munach that
> precedes zarka, pazer, t'lisha k'tana, and t'lisha g'dola, and another
> munach that precedes mahpach, darga, mercha, geresh, and gershaim.
> Applying Lithuanian trop to this (in F major) munach before zarka, pazer,
> t'lisha k'tana, and t'lisha g'dola would be sung F-A-G.  Munach before
> mahpach, darga, mercha, geresh, and gershaim would be sung A-A-G-A-C.
>
> So my question is, does anyone else follow this practice?
>
> Sam Wittenberg
> Virginia Beach, VA
> samwit (at) infi(dot)net

Shalom.  One melody is used for the Munach which precedes Pazer, T'lisha
G'dola, and T'lisha K'tana:  for Torah chant in the key of F Major it is
"F-A-G" as you said.  However, there is a special melody for the Munach
which precedes Zarka:
"B flat - A - G" according to Rosowsky's "Cantillation of the Bible" page 203.

                                                         Cantor Neil Schwartz

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->