Re: WHICH KLEZ BAND

In article <DBH5Es(dot)M70(dot)0(dot)queen (at) torfree(dot)net>, ar363 (at)
torfree(dot)net (Saul
Markowicz) wrote:

> if you had only 5 klez bands to choose from
>
> which ones would you choose

If I was on a desert island and had my CD player, power and only 5 klezmer
CD's were allowed and I could also take my clarinet and my band members
with me, a beautiful babe and there was plenty of fresh fruit......

I'd take CD's from the following groups:

Klezmer Conservatory Band and lovely Judy Bressler, plus Hankus Netsky, et al
Brave Old World and their ilk for core music
Madman David Krakauer and his buddies without doubt
Henry Sapoznik for fun and historical accuracy, insight and dedication
Flying Bulgar Klezmer Band, David Buchbinder, Alan Merovitz etc.
Joel Rubin and his recording with the Epstein Brothers

Then if "they" allowed it, I'd take the Klezmatics for fun
And David Tarras for references

Plus lots of other folks that don't come to mind and for which I am
perfectly remiss in not smuggling onto the island.

It would be far better to take a stack of old records, sheet music and
Burt and Alan and some of the guys listed above, throw in Pete Sokolow for
arranging, Joel Rubin for his fab "C" horn playing and all of the Epstein
Brothers (even the one passed into the next world) and have a non-stop jam
session, only pausing for fruit and babes.

That reminds me of an old story.....

Ken

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->