Re: Linking High Holidays melodies to the content of prayer

On Wed, 5 Jul 1995, Doug Wissoker wrote:

> At last year's National Havurah Committee Summer Institute, I took a workshop
> (with Sami Barth) on leading High Holiday services.  He suggested that
> service leaders
> or the Hazzan take the time (at least once during the holidays) to explain
> how the nusach or melody relates to the content of prayer.
>
> I like this idea a lot and would like to incorporate it into Fabrangen's
> High Holiday services (in Washington DC).  Most of our services are davenned
> using fairly traditional nusach and it would be great to be able to point
> out ways the nusach fits the content.  (Although, ideally i could figure it
> out myself) I'm hoping that someone else has already done the work.  Does any
> one know of particular sources that would be helpful?

I agree that this is a good idea. On a slightly different (whimsical)
approach to this idea, although not a chazzan, I am the designated shliach
tzibbur for shacharis of Simchas Torah. I use contemporary, secular tunes
for different parts of the service. For example, for the lines beginning
"HaM'chadesh b'tuvo b'chol yom tamid ma'aseh b'reishis" (He Who, in his
goodness, creates the entire world anew daily), I use the tune "A Whole
New World" from Aladdin. Another example: as is the custom in many shuls
(so I'm told), all shluchei tzibbur on Simchas Torah get sprayed with
water when they get to the line "mashiv haruach u'moreed hagashem" (He
Who causes the wind to blow and the rain to fall) -- I use "Singin' in
the Rain" there.

/------[ sevrins (at) cucis(dot)cis(dot)columbia(dot)edu / rs305 (at)
columbia(dot)edu ]---------\
| Richard S. Sevrinsky | "Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?"|
| (212)305-2955        | "Well, I think so, Brain, but I can't memorize|
|                      |   a whole opera in Yiddish!"  - Animaniacs    |
\---------[ http://www.cpmc.columbia.edu/homepages/sevrins/ ]----------/

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->