Trope books

S'lichah, all, I guess I deserve some (small) flames for writing:

 > On the other hand, if your interest is more scholarly, there are
 > some magnificent books about trop (the technical term, by the way,
 > is "cantillation").  Some of them are real tomes and go into great
 > detail about the history of and the subtle differences between the
 > various traditions.

as though I were a great expert.  Actually, I am an intermediate-
level leyner, meaning that I can prepare a haftarah in a haf-hour
(:-), but it takes me several hours to prepare twenty or thirty
p'sukim of torah.  And I am not learned in the history and details
of cantillation.  As I wrote off-line to Jeff Finger:

Sorry, I meant to include further suggestions for *where to find*
the books I referred to, but forgot.

No, I don't have any of these books in my personal library (although
I would love to).  I don't even have titles handy.  I just browsed
some of them in a library several years ago, so I know they exist.

Where are you located geographically?

In Los Angeles, I would start at the University of Judaism library
and, perhaps, YULA.  Likewise, in Cincinnati or New York, I would
start at the libraries of the big seminaries (HUC, JTS, perhaps the
Orthodox seminaries).  If you don't have access to these places, I
would suggest contacting the best Hazzan (cantor) in your area for
further suggestions, including specific titles and publishers.

Or maybe someone else on this list can suggest specific books?

 |  | /   \ /\                      Max(dot)Stern (at)
TorreyPinesCA(dot)ncr(dot)com

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->