hanashir

[HANASHIR:15225] Re: Virus given to me...This is how to delete the files

Dear all,

This virus is a hoax.
You can read all about it at
    http://www.urbanlegends.com/ulz/jdbmgr.html and
    http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/jdbgmgr.exe.file.hoax.html

B'shalom,
Greg

On Tue, 2 Sep 2003, Steve and Audrey Katz wrote:

> Subject: Virus Alert Which Attaches to Your Personal Address Book
>
> Unfortunately, a virus has been passed on to me by a friend.  My address
> book WAS infected.
>
> Since you are in my address book, there is a good chance you will find it in
> your computer too.
>
> The virus (called jdbgmgr.exe) is not detected by Norton or McAfee antivirus
> systems.  The virus sits quietly for 14 days before damaging the system.  It
> is sent automatically by messenger and by the address
> book, whether or not you sent e-mail to your contacts.  Here's how to check
> for the virus and how to get rid of it:
>
> YOU MUST DO THIS:
>
> 1.  Go to Start, Find or search option.
>
> 2.  In the file folder option, type the name jdbgmgr.exe
>
> 3.  Be sure you search your C: drive and all subfolders and any other drives
> you may have.
>
> 4.  Click "find now"
>
> 5.  The Virus has a Teddy Bear icon with the name jdbgmgr.exe DO NOT OPEN
> IT!!
>
> 6.  Go to Edit (on the menu bar) and choose "select all" to highlight the
> file without opening it.
>
> 7.  Now go to File (on the menu bar) and select delete.  It will then go to
> the Recycle Bin.
>
> 8.  IF YOU FIND THE VIRUS YOU MUST CONTACT ALL THE PEOPLE IN YOUR ADDRESS
> BOOK, SO THEY CAN ERADICATE IT IN THEIR OWN ADDRESS BOOKS.
>
> To Do This:
>
> a) Open a new e-mail message
>
> b) Click the icon of the address book next to the "TO"
>
> c) Highlight every name and add to "Bcc" (which means blind copy)
>
> d) Copy this message and paste to e-mail
>
> So sorry for any inconvenience.

Greg Siegle, Ph.D., Assistant Professor of Psychiatry
University of Pittsburgh, School of Medicine
Addr: Western Psychiatric Institute and Clinic
      3811 O'Hara St., Pittsburgh, PA 15213-2593
web: www.pitt.edu/~gsiegle  ph:412-624-3172  fax:412-624-0223
Visit the Connectionist Models of Cognitive, Affective, Brain, and
 Behavioral Disorders website: www.cnbc.cmu.edu/resources/disordermodels

Hosted by Shamash: The Jewish Network  http://shamash.org
A service of Hebrew College, which offers online courses and an
online MA in Jewish Studies, http://hebrewcollege.edu/online/

* * FREE JEWISH LEARNING * *
Shamash invites you to join MyJewishLearning.com, a comprehensive,
objective, authoritative and interactive learning resource in all areas
of Judaism.  Free membership via http://www.myjewishlearning.com/shamash

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->