hanashir

[HANASHIR:15153] Sharon Steinberg

As many of you know, our colleague Sharon Steinberg was critically injured
in a car accident on Thursday.  (The link to the Washington Post news story
is below.)  I am happy to report that she has made remarkable progress over
the past couple of days and has been moved out of the ICU.

Our rabbi, who visited with her today, reports that Sharon is awake and very
able to communicate.  Sharon thanks all her friends for their prayers and
asks that we keep sending them her way.  I know that  congregations
throughout the nation included her on their Mi Shebeirach list this Shabbat.
  Phone calls to the hospital, however, are not encouraged.  For now, what
Sharon needs is time to rest.

I would like for us to present Sharon with a special gift to lift her spirit
and let her know how beloved she really is.  Over the next two days, I will
be creating a scrapbook of whatever you email to me for her to read and
re-read.  I would like to suggest that your submission for the "We Love You,
Sharon" scrapbook be any of the following:

     --a personal recollection of time you've spent with her
     --a description of how Sharon has been a blessing to you
     --a liturgical passage
     --an uplifting thought or quotation
     --something funny

What I am NOT looking for are "get well soon" messages.  I would prefer that
your submission to me be the kind she'll want to continue to look at even
long after she's had a complete recovery.

I'lll be compiling responses from Sharon's friends on several listserves
(Women Cantors Network, Hanashir, GTM, dc-shir, and Beth El) and so I
apologize in advance if you receive this announcement more than once.

Please send me your submission as soon as possible.  You may send either a
Word file or simply include your text within the body of an email.  I will
be working on the scrapbook Monday and Tuesday so that hopefully I can
present it to her on Wednesday.  (And I wondered what I'd do with my time
now that I'm done writing the CAJE Page!)

My email address is:

     CBLeon (at) hotmail(dot)com

If you would like to send Sharon a get well card or personal letter, the
rabbi has suggested you mail it to the synagogue and it will be personally
delivered to Sharon at Fairfax Hospital or at home.  (We don't know the
length of her hospital stay and don't want your mail to get lost when Sharon
is released to go home.)  The synagogue mailing address is:

     Cantorial Intern Sharon Steinberg
     Beth El Hebrew Congregation
     3830 Seminary Road
     Alexandria, VA 22304

If you prefer to have your letter arrive faster, you may email it to Rabbi
Jessica Locketz who will make sure it's delivered to Sharon.  The email
address is:

     jlocketz (at) bethelhebrew(dot)org

Feel free to email or phone me with any questions.  I look forward to
including your submission in the scrapbook.

B'shalom,

Carol

Link to Washington Post news story (Driver Critically Injured In
Drive-Through Lane):
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A29364-2003Aug21.html

Carol Boyd Leon
Songwriter/Cantorial Soloist/Music Educator
E-mail:  CBLeon (at) hotmail(dot)com
Phone:  703-250-0554
Web page:  http://www.geocities.com/CBoydLeon

Enter for your chance to IM with Bon Jovi, Seal, Bow Wow, or Mary J Blige
using MSN Messenger http://entertainment.msn.com/imastar

Hosted by Shamash: The Jewish Network  http://shamash.org
A service of Hebrew College, which offers online courses and an
online MA in Jewish Studies, http://hebrewcollege.edu/online/

* * FREE JEWISH LEARNING * *
Shamash invites you to join MyJewishLearning.com, a comprehensive,
objective, authoritative and interactive learning resource in all areas
of Judaism.  Free membership via http://www.myjewishlearning.com/shamash

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->