hanashir

[HANASHIR:15093] Re: the whole cantor thing

First of all, I want to thank Cantor Erik Contzius for his clarifications and
explanations about this subject. The distinctions noted between the varying
levels of education/training, and the functions of persons with these titles,
was very helpful.

Secondly, I have read most of the postings on this subject with interest. Two
years ago, I was persuaded by a number of people whose opinions I trusted to
consider cantorial school. I went, and lasted about one semester. I am not
ashamed of that experience, nor am I ashamed of having left. I learned a lot
about both the Jewish establishment, and about myself, in the process. There
were
many factors in the process, and some of them had to do with my inexperience
in academia. But others had to do with the reality that cantorial school, no
matter where it is, requires a huge investment of both time and money; and I
learned very quicky that I would not have enough of either to see it through to
the end of what would have been, for me, a 7- to 8-year journey, not 5. (Hint:
if you are considering bonafied cantorial school, attend an undergrad college
with a strong Judaic Studies program so you won't have to take 3 years'worth
of undergrad Judaic pre-req's and pay grad-level tuition! Wish I'd known this
first.)

I am a songleader. I lead music for youth and family services twice a week
for a large synagogue (where I am not a member). Although I enjoy the work, I
have had to resign myself to the reality that this will not be a career for me.
I am not in a position to leave my entire life behind and go to grad school
for so long; and Jewish jobs in my region are scarce, even for those who DO
have
the requisite degrees. Most people doing this work without a Master's in
Jewish Anything are doing it part-time, and have other jobs that they schedule
their Jewish lives around as best they can.

I will continue to make music, and much of it will continue to be Jewish. But
I will do it on my terms, according to my schedule. I will not be famous but
I may actually be happier in the end. It was an expensive and painful lesson
for me to learn.

I would gently suggest the following as points to ponder, both by individuals
considering this work and by the institutions that will train and hire them:

1. If there is indeed a shortage of certified Jewish professionals,
particularly of those with musical ability, perhaps we should either place less
emphasis on certification (and more on practical ability and talent) in order
to fill
the vacancies. How much of our present dilemma is about supply and demand;
and how much of it is about what synagogue are willing/able to pay someone for
these services?

2. How accessible -- really -- is the "proper" training, both for those who
are able to make the financial and time commitment to a 5-year graduate
program, and those who aren't? What kinds of financial support exist in the
comminity
for those individuals seeking to enter this field as a vocation?

3. What kind of musicians do the cantorial programs -- and synagogues --
really wish to attract? Is there a disconnect between the ideal candidate for a
cantorial school, and the ideal musician for a particular synagogue community?
What cantorial school graduate who can sing classically but who cannot play
guitar or conduct a folk-styled service for the congregation that wants one?
How
does this contribute to the sense of separation (and/or possible reduced
cooperation) between "songleaders" and "cantors"?

4. What makes a "cantor"? What makes a "songleader"? What qualities do these
two share, and what could they learn from each other in the ideal cooperative
atmosphere? Could each step at least partially into the other's role from time
to time if needed? Can a songleader also serve as a Sheliach Tzibur? (I do,
at my home synagogue.) Can a cantor function as a songleader? (The cantor at
the synagogue where I am employed -- not the same as my home syangogue --
cannot, and utilizes me to lead folk-style youth and family services).

I am glad this topic came up. Thanks for thoughtful discussion and ideas.
Beth Hamon
www.beth-hamon.com

<-- Chronological --> <-- Thread -->