hanashir

[HANASHIR:14181] Re: Star Spangled Banner a capella for an audience of 5,000.]

Plant someone in the audience very close to the choir, who is willing to
be very visibly enthusiastic.  (big grin, waving their arms in delight,
that kind of thing.)  Then have the choir imagine that they are singing
only to that person - tell them to keep their eyes on that person
(except when they are looking at the choir director, of course.)  Have
them imagine that all the rest of the audience is also looking at that
one person, and will take their cues as to how to respond to the choir,
from this enthusiastic cheer-leader.  Bring that person in to a
rehearsal or two, so that the kids can practice absorbing the positive
energy.

Actually it's a good idea to have a couple of  people in the "cheering
section", in case one of them can't attend at the last minute.

(I've done this a couple of times, telling someone:  grin at me the
whole time, I'll watch you & it will help me to remember to smile when I
start getting seriously scared. (pun intended.)  It really helped.)

Good luck!

- Ros