hanashir

[HANASHIR:14166] Mother's Day: My Yiddishe Mama

Mama" as it's usually sung in English.  But then I found the original
Yiddish words, which are in my opinion, much more meaningful. So I made my
own translation, which see below...  Also, I'm posting the original Yiddish
words in transliteration.

My Yiddishe Mame, translated by Laurie Sucher

I have a simple question for you, tell me if you can
With what amazing blessing does God shower every man
You cannot pay in gold for this: a gift without a cost
And yet if someone loses it, what treasure has he lost!
Another one you cannot have, no matter how you weep
Oh, only those who've felt it
Know how the loss cuts deep?.

A Yiddishe mame, there are no better words to say
A Yiddishe mame, her image speeds us on our way
When she's at home what joy and happiness shining through the door
How sad and dreary those same rooms when our mother's there no more
Through fire and water, she'll never fear to save her own
Her son and her daughter, we know her value when we're grown
Oh how happy and joyfully we would hold
Such a beautiful presence, more dear than gold
Such a beautiful Yiddishe Mama
Mame mine!

Ikh vel bei eich a kasha fregn zugt mir ver es ken
Mit velche tiere farmegens bensht got alemen?
Men koift es nit far kaine gelt; dus gibt men nur umzist
Un doch az men farlert dus, vifil trern men fargist
A tsveyte gibt men keynem nit, es helft nit keyn geveyn
Oy, ver us hut farliren, der veys shoin vus ikh meyn

A Yiddishe mame, es gibt nit besser in der velt
A Yiddish Mame, oy vey vi biter ven zi felt
Vi shayn un likhtig iz in hoys ven di mame's do
Vi troirig finster vert ven got nemt ir oif oylem habo
In vaser un fayer, volt zi geloyfn far ir kind
Nit haltn ir tayr, dis iz gevis di greste zint
Oy vi gliklich un raykh iz der mensch vus hut
Aza shayne matone, geshenkt fun got
Nur an altishke Yidishe mame
Mame mayn!

Happy Mother's Day!