hanashir

[HANASHIR:14036] Re: ongs to honor a retiring head of school

Quelli:

Personally, I don't think the Hebrew text of asey l'cha rav is entirely
appropriate to a retirement setting, and there may be better choices. Upon
retirement, you want sentiment that expresses thanks and gratitude for the
work done, and asey l'cha rav only fits because of the tenuous education
connection.

That being said, last summer at CAJE, the children's choir performed a sweet
new setting of Asey L'cha Rav by Carol Boyd Leon. While the song is designed
for young voices, in the right hands, it could work fine in an another
setting. What I think renders it most appropriate for your situation are the
English lyrics, which would fit honoring a retiring educator or teacher or
rabbi. With Carol's added English lyrics, her particular setting might work.

Otherwise, I'd look to some other piece of text to honor your retiring
principal.

B'vracha,

Adrian A. Durlester, MTS
E-mail: adrian (at) durlester(dot)com  URL:www.durlester.com
Director of Education, Beth El Hebrew Congregation, Alexandria, VA
education(dot)driector (at) bethelhebrew(dot)org
Co-Director, Hazamir/JTAI Choir of Greater DC
Past Conf Chair, CAJE 27, August 4-8, 2002, Trinity University, San Antonio,
TX
List Owner, hanashir (at) shamash(dot)org; Jewish Songleaders/Performers List
Co-Owner, l-torah (at) shamash(dot)org; Liberal Torah Discussion List