From: owner-hanashir (at) shamash(dot)org [mailto:owner-hanashir (at)
shamash(dot)org] On
Behalf Of Joshua Miller
Sent: Saturday, March 30, 2002 6:15 PM
To: priestsinger (at) attbi(dot)com
Cc: hanashir (at) shamash(dot)org
Subject: [HANASHIR:11213] Rabbi Jeff Summit

Julia,

I don't recall Jeff Summit's name being mentioned on Hanashir
previously,
but I can tell you that he wrote an interesting book entitled "The
Lord's
Song in a Strange Land" with a huge section about congregational melody
choices and case studies on several different congregations in the
Boston
area. The book even comes with a CD that has some fun melodies.

Rabbi Summit is the executive director at Tufts Hillel and serves as a
professor in the Tufts Ethnomusicology department (and he's a talented
songleader as well). The book should be available at Jewish bookstores,
and
I think it would be a great read for any songleader interested the role
of
music in Jewish culture. I heard Jeff give a lecture on this material
about
a year ago at Stanford University and found it really interesting. I'm
not
sure if those lecture notes are available on-line somewhere, but Jeff
can
be reached via email at jsummit (at) emerald(dot)tufts(dot)edu(dot)

Hope that helps!

- Josh Miller
   joshuamiller2003 (at) kellogg(dot)nwu(dot)edu