hanashir

[HANASHIR:11163] Re: Q about kids vs. kavannah

Hi,

2 little tid-bits on kids vs. kavannah. One, a quotation from Rabbi Larry
Kushner from his speech to the 1997 biennial (which everyone should
read, it is on the web at http://www.bethelsudbury.org/rabbi/uahc97.htm)
which is relevant to this discussion:

"Family services are just a euphemism for 'puerile.' Every service should
be an adult service where children of all ages are always welcome. (Who
are we to say that God would rather hear our mellifluent prayers rather
than the prattle of a child. Besides, if youre really praying, who cares
that the kids are making noise.)"  -Rabbi Larry Kushner

The second, as I recall (though I haven't gone and looked it up) the
Shulchan Aruch disagrees with Rabbi Kushner. I am pretty sure that the
Shulchan Aruch says that you should bring your children to synagogue as
young as possible, subject to the constraint that they can behave
themselves in a manner that is not disruptive.

Take your pick, I don't really have an opinion.

Ethan

*******************************
Ethan Bueno de Mesquita
Ph.D. Candidate

mesquita (at) fas(dot)harvard(dot)edu
www.fas.harvard.edu/~mesquita

Department of Government
Littauer Center, North Yard
Harvard University
Cambridge, MA  02138
(617) 384-7303 (office)

"Can lack of bias ever compensate for absence of insight?"
        -Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel