hanashir

[HANASHIR:9607] RE: synagogue software

Yes, you can build your own, but you get what you pay for.  Synagogue
software is expensive because the market is relatively small and the
software does a complicated job. When you build your own software you'll
have to rediscover all of the issues other people have already
solved.  Moreover, what happens if the employee who put together the
roll-your-own database leaves?  In the large majority of cases "off the
shelf software" is cheaper in the long run.

Admittedly, I make a living as a custom software developer, so I should
argue for building custom software, but rather than hiring me it would be a
lot cheaper to buy the off-the-shelf software.  (Full disclosure:  I focus
on building educational software for kids now, but I have built numerous
custom accounting packages in the past.)

Suppose you find a guru to build your software and then they leave?   Do
you have the programming capabilities to calculate Yarzheits?  How about
keeping accurate track of who paid dues and how much?  Will you have an
accurate list when it is time to send those oh-so-important donation
letters to your congregants?  How will you make sure that Marilyn and Henry
Cohn can be found under Marilyn's maiden name Freed?

Can you make due with MS Access or another db?  Yes, if you have the right
dedicated person and the operation is small and uncomplicated.  A one
hundred person congregation, yes, you probably don't need the
software.  You can start with such databases.  I can assure you, though, if
you have a congregation big enough to support enough full time staff to
roll your own -- then you probably have a complicated enough operation to
fully justify one of the packages -- and you may be wise to do so.

I can't tell you which synagogue package works best for you, even if I had
looked at the packages recently, I wouldn't know what your synagogues needs
are.  But I did a search on the web and some recommendations can be found
at the  United Synagogue website: http://www.uscj.org/item104_472_476.html

All my best,
Laura Ferguson
allenderL (at) acm(dot)org