hanashir

[HANASHIR:5420] Seeking OSRUI Stories.

Hi, all.

As some of you know, Olin Sang Ruby Union Institute (OSRUI) will be
celebrating its 50th anniversary next year.  As part of its celebration,
OSRUI is looking to publish a book of scholarly essays on various aspects of
the camping experience through the American Jewish Archives.
    I have been asked to write the *musical* history of the camp (this will
also contribute to my dissertation research), and for this I need your help.
    I would like to ask anyone who has been involved in OSRUI life, as a
camper, counsellor, songleader or camp director (or anything else, if I
omitted it) at any time at all, to send me some kind of memoir of your
musical experiences at or related to the camp.  [I'd include Hava NaShira
ONLY if you helped found the event, OR if you had additional contact with
OSRUI outside of HN.]  Please feel free to write on any or all aspects of
musical camp experiences as you wish; if you want a few guideline questions
to get you started, I've provided a few in the next paragraph.  Know that
you should *not* feel limited to these.
    What was the role of music in camp life?  What kinds of musical
experiences did you have at camp?  When?  What role did music play in *your*
camp experience?  What kinds of music did you hear, sing, or perform, play?
How did it make you feel?  What did you learn?  What importance did the
musical side of camp life have for you (then and now)?  [And, of course,
WHEN did this all happen for you?]
    Also, if you have any musical ephemera from camp (songbooks, videotapes,
cassettes, tote bags with big musical notes on them), it would be great if
you could me know about them.
    If you feel more comfortable talking about your experiences in person
(or on the phone), contact me directly and we can set up a convenient time.

    And if you feel there is someone *not* on this list who might be
interested in contributing, please forward this message to them.  If there
are any questions about the veracity of the e-mail, just contact me at
jcohen (at) fas(dot)harvard(dot)edu(dot)

       Know that all the information you sent me will remain confidential
unless I receive your express written (or e-mailed) consent to use any
portion of it.  (Or, if you want, give me permission to use it along with
your memoir.)

Again, please send all memoirs and material to me at
*jcohen (at) fas(dot)harvard(dot)edu*(dot)

Thank you.  I look forward to reading what you have to send!

Judah.