hanashir

[HANASHIR:5367] Re: No God, but there is MELECH

Dear R. Klein,

That's an interesting observation.  I've noticed before how often
"hamelech" appears.  Might we also infer from that repetition a sarcasm or
mockery of those human rulers might think of themselves as divine?  Every
time we read "the [so-called] king", we think of the One who is truly
Hamelech and note the inevitable contrast?

Andy

At 10:16 AM 2/28/00 -0500, you wrote:
>By the way, one way to get around the missing reference to God is to note
>that the word MELECH punctuates each column of scribally-written Esther.
>While the Melech of the book refers to Ahashueros, the pattern implies that
>the Melech Malchey Hamlachim, the supreme Ruler, i.e. God, is present on
>every page of the book of Esther.
>
>Rabbi Jonathan Klein
>Director, KESHER (UAHC College Education Department)
>633 Third Avenue
>NYC, NY  10017-6778
>212-650-4077
>http://www.keshernet.com <http://www.keshernet.com>
>AOL Name: Rav Klein
>KESHER CONVENTION!!! MARCH 9-12 Cincinnati
>http://www.keshernet.com/convention2000.htm
><http://www.keshernet.com/convention2000.htm>
>Students: Ask to be listed in the KESHER Directory!
>       Free subscriptions to RJ Magazine if listed!
>Set your home page to www.thehungersite.org <http://www.thehungersite.org>
>to donate food every time on line!

Andy Curry
CellNet Data Systems