hanashir

[HANASHIR:5222] Re: Xerox

Adrian,

    Your discussion of the issue seems to highlight our differences on it.
I still think you're being too idealistic.  Linking yourself to an
"official" state system of copyright links you to money, the accepted
(albeit difficult, as you state) medium for such exchange.  You may not want
to accept the money you receive for "recognition," but the money, just like
your "intellectual property," will have your name attached to it no matter
what you do.  How you intend to use it (or refuse it) is a matter of
personal conscience.

I agree it is possible to be interested in *only* respect--and Kol HaKavod
for that.  However, when you move from an under-the-table system of
acknowledegment to our "official" State system, as is being advocated on
this list, money inevitably raises its head into the issue (note, please,
earlier posts in which artists discuss the amount of income they have "lost"
due to "illegal copying").  I understand that with the "under-the-table"
system, there is a great chance that artists will not be given proper
recognition due either to lack of knowledge or plain deviousness.  However,
using the established copyright laws brings with it equally difficult moral
dilemmas.  "Respect" is no longer just "respect" in these cases:  it can
become a comparative, and quantitative, commodity.

One example from my past:  While trying to obtain copyright information for
my Jewish a cappella group's first album, I approached the publishing
company that owned the song "Dona Dona."  I explained to a very nice woman
that my group was a non-profit group of college students, and requested that
they drop or reduce the royalty for distribution of the song.  The woman
called me back after doing some consulting:  she said the company would be
able to do away with the monetary royalty; HOWEVER, THEY WOULD NOT BE PAID
LESS THAN WHAT OTHER COMPANIES DECIDED TO CHARGE.  In other words, the
situation is far more complicated than you are painting it.

I also resent your use of the Shoah to prove your point.  If you honestly
believe that personal interpretations of copyright laws can bring about
fascism and genocide, then I will defer and allow you your opinion.
However, in America, we have a system of copyright laws which works fine,
and has prevented such situations in the past.  Remember that the "absurd
extension" of principles *also* caused Nazi Germany to rise in the first
place--partially because so many people idealistically adhered to them!

And Solomon's "extreme" form of justice--by this I assume you're using a
"split baby" story as an example--was a STORY in which such extreme justice
was merely suggested in the interest of bringing people to their senses.
(And yes, I am aware this can go in both directions, depending upon your
moral stance).  We are not dealing with parables here, Adrian--we are on the
verge of dealing with a real program that hopefully *prevents* us from such
extreme opinions.

And careful with MP3:  perhaps you have missed MP3.com's "pay for play"
promotion, which is distributing $200,000 to artists whose music is
downloaded from the site.  And remember that in addition to the draw for
"artistic integrity," MP3 is also great way to get out your frustrations on
the RIAA.  Antinomianism may play just as important a role as "getting one's
music out."

Be well.
Judah.

PS:  I still don't have anything besides vague references to "the Torah" as
precedents for intellectual copyright law.