hanashir

[HANASHIR:4890] Re: hatikvah

My two cents:  while I have not seen the pieces suggested in Hope Ehn's
letter, I would be highly suspicious of their veracity.  She's great with
dates and "sources," but seems to be really lacking in hard proof.  There is
a relatively popular approach in musicological studies which seems to be
applied frequently in attempts to create musical links between published
music and "folktunes."  In informal terms, the best way to say it is the:
"this sounds like it, so it must be the same thing" approach.  Eric Werner
used it with great frequency to "prove" that Jewish melodies and Gregorian
chants were "related" to each other.  This approach has also been used in
studies of "Maoz Tsur," among others; and it remains in use today (many, I'm
sure are familiar with that old Barechu/"It Ain't Necessarily So"
"connection").  [For whatever it's worth, similar approaches are also used
to connect African musics with African-American musics, frequently in order
to bandage over a complete absence of factual information.]

With Ma'oz Tsur, the rub often comes in the "B" section ("L'eit Achim
Matbeach. . ."); it is my guess that such is the case with these "studies"
of Hatikvah.  People, when they make their comparisons, seem so intent on
the "first eight measures" that they don't really notice what comes
afterward (I don't have the recording with me right now, but isn't that the
case with the Smetana, too?).  Likewise with this "court of Mantua"
argument.  I have some experience with the time period, and it's pretty well
known; why, then has there been little (if any) mention of this "discovery"
in Jewish music literature?

One other flaw, in my opinion:  the only things people really look for in
the Hatikvah tune to prove similarity seem to me to be:
1.  An initial run up the first five degrees of the minor scale.
2.  A rise to the sixth scale degree (or the octave) before returning to 5
to end the phrase.
3.  A descent down from 5-1 at half the speed of the initial ascent.
4.  A vaguely similar rhythm (though even this is sometimes not necessarily)
Everything else is forgiven, it seems, in the interest of similarity.  This
makes for great "genealogical" lines (nice to know Monteverdi got in there,
along with Salomon Rossi [who, incidentally, did work at the same court,
though there is no evidence they ever met each other]), but rather
unfulfilling research.

I have no answers myself, but I am quite impressed with the range of
folkloric and semi-historical responses people have heard and picked up.
Seems like in the absence of hard data, there is still a real need for a
"story" behind the tune.  Will a definitive "missing link" ever be found?  I
have no idea; but the stated attempts are in themselves important as a
fingerprint of the search for meaning we seem to embark upon for a tunes of
particular significance.

Be well.
Judah. (Who's feeling a little curmudgeonly at the moment.)